At Petra, we are passionate about building people so that they can become the very best version of themselves. With offices in Washington, Idaho, and Colorado, and clients throughout the western United States, we offer preconstruction services, construction management, general contracting, and design-build solutions across a broad spectrum of commercial markets.
The Operations Manager provides leadership and technical construction direction to either the Project Management or Field Operations TEAM members. In Project Management they work closely with Project Managers, Project Engineers, Project Administrators, Project Coordinators, and Accounting Specialists[JH1] [SP2] . In Field Operations they work with Senior Superintendents, Superintendents, Assistant Superintendents, and Foremen. They execute on Divisional plans to achieve company goals and objectives, and are accountable for achieving project success and client satisfaction in their area of leadership. They understand the technicalities of commercial construction projects and support their TEAMs by assessing the health of projects and TEAM member performance, and providing direction in solving problems. They ensure operational excellence through adherence to established processes and procedures. They provide oversight and leadership to all those within their Division, guiding TEAM members’ professional development and addressing poor performance. Through this direct involvement in construction operations, they determine training needs for their TEAMs and partner with other Departments to affect training.
This position will report directly to and collaborate closely with the Director of Construction (DOC). They also have regular interactions with the Senior Vice President of Construction Operations (SVPCO). In Project Management they will directly oversee and partner closely with Project Managers, Project Engineers, Project Administrators, and Project Coordinators within their Division. In Field Operations they will directly oversee and partner closely with Senior Superintendent, Superintendents, Assistant Superintendents, and Foremen. Additionally, they will collaborate and partner with Preconstruction, Finance, Risk Management, TEAM Talent (HR), and Organizational Development.
The Operations Manager has several core areas of accountability which include:
Leadership and People Management:
- Develop staffing recommendations and present them to the DOC in accordance with personnel needs; participate in the recruiting process for new TEAM members.
- Ensure performance development, career pathing, and succession is occurring for TEAM members in a way that is consistent with Petra’s standards.
- Support TEAM member growth and development through supervision, coaching, mentoring, training, and disciplinary actions.
- Carry out the company’s People Builder program.
- Develop TEAM members by delegating responsibility, providing timely performance feedback, and assisting in conflict resolution.
- Establish their TEAM’s focus by developing and communicating goals in support of the greater good that is within Petra’s Vision and Mission.
- Partner with project TEAMs to establish, maintain, and repair client relationships.
- Regularly monitor project health metrics and review project monthly forecasting reports (provided by Project Managers) and provide direction to project TEAMs in resolving issues.
- Review project budgets and makes strategic recommendations to ensure projects remain on track and within budget.
- Monitor key performance indicators and metrics to measure and evaluate critical areas of construction operations.
- Assist DOCs in negotiating major contracts with clients, preferred vendors and suppliers, and contractors for maximum cost savings.[SP3] [BM4]
Quality Control & Safety
- Provide technical oversight of construction activities and support to project TEAMs to ensure consistent execution, efficient processes, and optimize cost efficiencies[SP5] [BM6].
- Review the status of projects to ensure standards of success (safety, schedule, profitability, customer relationships) are achieved.
- Ensure that all buildings in the construction area are constructed to contract, specification, and permitted drawings.
- Evaluate and ensure construction timelines for each project within the region.
- Walk sites to determine construction status and assure compliance with PETRA Standards including environmental requirements, safety requirements, and quality control.
- Review prime construction contracts and Subcontracts to understand risk and contractual obligations.
- Partner with the Director of Risk Management and Director of Finance to identify, analyze, mitigate, and report on project risks.
- Champion Petra’s safety culture and ensure adherence to safe work practices.
- Oversee and ensure that all safety standards in accordance with OSHA, federal, state, and local regulations are followed and enforced.
Process & Policies
- Review and update policies, programs, and procedures specific to Construction Operations; recommend new policies and operating procedures as needed for efficient operations[SP7] [BM8].
- Stay abreast of changing construction regulations for local jurisdictions and make appropriate recommendations for changes to policies[SP9] [BM10].
- Work with the DOC and Risk Management to stay abreast of pending legal issues and pending litigation.
- Develop and implement processes and procedures to minimize punch list, rework and warranty, and limit the duration of the closeout for all projects.
- Work closely with Risk Management, Safety, TEAM Talent and Organizational Development to identify training needs and ensure that TEAM members are appropriately onboarded and trained to perform their roles efficiently and effectively[SP11] [BM12].
- Ensure there is a development and training strategy for all TEAM members within Operations and that performance appraisals are being completed consistent with PETRA’s established standards[SP13] [BM14].
Experience & Education:
- 8+ years of working experience in project management, field operations, and/or leadership positions in the construction industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or related field or relevant work experience[SP15] [BM16].
- Comprehensive knowledge of the nuances of the construction industry including but not limited to contracts, inspections, materials, standards, ordering, scheduling, budgeting, cost tracking, safety, and pitfall mitigation.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and project management software.
- Proficiency in, or willingness to learn, Sage, TimberScan, and Procore.
- Experience leading teams and building consensus.