At Petra, we are passionate about building people so that they can become the very best version of themselves. With offices in Washington, Idaho, and Colorado, and clients throughout the western United States, we offer preconstruction services, construction management, general contracting, and design-build solutions across a broad spectrum of commercial markets.
The Estimator works closely with the Pre-Construction team to determine the projected time frame and additional factors needed to complete a project including labor needs, materials, budgets, and potential setbacks. The Estimator will communicate with personnel and contractual professionals or vendors, weigh production risks or compile reports, and make presentations to leadership outlining their proposals for upcoming projects.
- Analyzes requirements, specifications, project plans, and other factors to gain a thorough understanding of job scope to estimate the project cost.
- Works closely with the Pre-Construction team, architects, and other professionals to develop bids for construction projects by creating and presenting budgets, reports, and plans to leadership.
- Analyzes and manages bids from vendors and contractors to prepare a detailed cost analysis.
- Performs take-offs when necessary to understand labor, material, and equipment quantities.
- Manages the acquisition of bid bonds, when applicable.
- Travels to building sites as required.
- Attends pre-bid meetings, and interviews with prospective clients.
- Resolves cost differences by analyzing and collecting information.
- Schedules meetings with clients, site managers, and staff.
- Navigates and understands building codes.
- Monitors construction process to compile and record actual costs.
- Stays up to date with safety codes and new construction standards and practices.
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications & Competencies
Experience & Aptitudes:
- Two (2) years’ successful working experience in general or commercial construction.
- Clear understanding of company mission and values.
- Ability to navigate specifications and plans.
- Proficiency in developing proposals and projects.
- Close attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Must have strong problem solving, negotiating, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be organized, reliable, punctual, and be able to work in a team-oriented atmosphere while maintaining confidentiality.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, mechanical engineering, architecture, or a similar field is preferred.
- Qualification in project management is highly advantageous.