At Petra, we are passionate about building people so that they can become the very best version of themselves. With offices in Washington, Idaho, and Colorado, and clients throughout the western United States, we offer preconstruction services, construction management, general contracting, and design-build solutions across a broad spectrum of commercial markets.
This position is responsible for assisting the Project Manager with the management and direction for assigned field projects from conception to completion within time and budget allowances, maintain client relationships, while helping marketing develop new business opportunities.
The Assistant Project Manager is expected to complete work assignments under limited supervision, exercising some latitude in determining objectives of assignments and schedules to accomplish objectives within budget and within established time limits. This position reports directly to the Project Manager.
1 – To exceed customers’ expectations and create repeat business and referrals.
- Assist with management of project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards within boundaries of corporate policies and systems.
- Assist with timely owner/subcontractor contracts with accuracy, be thorough and follow to completion with protected interest of Petra.
- Assist Project Manager with the client’s overall expectations including time, budget, quality and
- means of communication while exceeding the customers expectations throughout the project to allow for return business while effectively communicating with the entire team.
- Take part in establishing the client’s, architect’s, and Petra’s roles/responsibilities from the beginning of the project.
- Forecast and report potential project problems to the Project Manager in a timely and clearly communicated manner.
2 – To consistently create a profit.
- Monitor/control construction through administrative direction of on-site supervision to ensure project is built on schedule and within budget. Investigate potentially serious situations and implement corrective measures.
- Assist Project Manager with financial aspects of project (fee payment, equipment rental, etc.). Ensure all paperwork is accurate and timely.
- Monitor and manage change orders as directed by the Project Manager.
3 – Ensure projects are completed on time.
- Attend project meetings and assist Project Manager with labor negotiations/strategy meetings, etc.
- Assist with troubleshooting problems associated with coordinating and developing the construction projects.
- Assist with project issues, submittals, RFIs and changes to ensure no impact to the construction progress.
- Clear communication to the project team of schedule impacts as early as possible.
4 – Be a productive and effective construction teammate (working with superintendents, accounting, subcontractors, architects, engineers, and clients).
- Plan, organize, and assist Project Manager in engaging with key team members to ensure the projects success.
- Assist with billings, accounts receivables, and payables documentation on a timely basis.
- Provide clear and timely communication to the project team.
5 – Perform additional duties as requested by the immediate supervisor.
Requires two (2) years successful working experience in project management, preferably in a commercial construction setting. Degree in construction management or equivalent work experience preferred. Working experience with project management software (Procore preferred), Microsoft Suite, including Microsoft Project for scheduling. Must have strong problem solving, negotiating, and interpersonal skills. Must be organized, reliable, punctual, and be able to work in a team-oriented atmosphere while maintaining confidentiality. Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Health & Wellness (Medical / Dental / Vision / Employee Assistance Plan)
- Financial (401(k) Plan with Company Match
- Flex Spending Account / Health Savings Account
- Employee Referral Program
- Paid Time Off (Holidays / Vacation / Illness)
- Growth & Development (Career Path / Training and Certification)